Pre-departure preparation

Once a program or activity has been chosen and applications have been accepted, there is still a lot to do in preparing to travel out of the country. Below are several steps to help you successfully prepare for your trip.

1. Register on the U-M international travel registry website

  • Students, faculty and staff from all U-M campuses who travel abroad for University-related purposes must enter their itineraries and travel plans in the U-M travel registry. This online database facilitates communication in the event of an emergency. Note: Some U-M sponsored programs will register you and purchase your insurance coverage as part of a group – check with program staff before you register yourself. Even if your travel is not sponsored by U-M, registration is strongly advised so that you have the protection of U-M emergency support and travel health coverage.

  • To learn more and complete a registration for international travel, visit U-M international travel registry.

2. Purchase travel abroad health insurance

  • Students, faculty and staff from all U-M campuses who travel abroad for university-related purposes must have U-M travel abroad health insurance. (University-related purposes include study, research, business, conferences, internships, work and volunteer activities.)
  • The U-M contracts with HTH Worldwide, a leader in international travel health insurance, to provide this coverage. U-M’s HTH institutional policy is among the most comprehensive travel coverage available, including mental health services and even evacuation in the event of a political crisis. It is also inexpensive.  ($1.57 per person/day plus a $5 administrative fee per person per trip)
  • See university health service-travel abroad insurance for instructions and more information.

3. Review pre-departure checklists

  • The U-M International Center recommends reviewing these pre-departure checklists, which cover the essentials for successful global travel.

4. Get credits pre-approved for transfer

  • Students participating in a study abroad program administered by the School of Nursing, the Center for Global and Intercultural Study, or another U-M academic unit will most likely earn in-residence U-M credit which appears on their transcript as U-M coursework without any transfer process involvement. Students on these programs remain registered at U-M while they are abroad.

  • Students participating in a program offered through another accredited educational institution or an outside study abroad provider should meet with their academic advisor to have the classes pre-evaluated for transfer credit. For the consultation meeting, students should bring the course description and the syllabus for each class they would like to transfer. Schedule an appointment with your advisor by emailing or

  • Whether selecting a U-M administered program or that of another accredited educational institution, students should meet with their academic advisor to determine if credits earned abroad can apply towards specific degree requirements.